Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Hard knocks

So, what did I learn from the last experiment? I learned that there is a reason why we paint on flat surfaces. It isn't just about ease, it's about making something that is two dimensional take on the appearance of three dimensions with texture and light. Given a surface that is already three dimensional it is hard to predict the interaction of the light and shadow as you paint. You might then point out that the painting was abstract, not an attempt at realism, so why worry about creating the appearance of dimensionality with the paint? In spite of the carving, or because of the carving, the painting came out flat boring. This doesn't mean that I plan to give up on the idea of playing with my canvas. Instead I will continue to experiment and work with more geometric shapes as opposed to organic carvings. 
Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: